Dallas Cowboys Trivia Answers
Thanks again to Wayne Martin for providing the 50 trivia questions I posted earlier this week. Here are some detailed answers to those questions:
1. WHO WAS THE STARTING QB IN THE FIRST SEASON ?
A. The first starting quarterback for the Cowboys was former Washington quarterback Eddie LeBaron. He started 26 games from 1960 to 1963, compiling a record of 4-21-1. He lost his job as primary starter in 1962 but continued to split time with Don Meredith. Ironically, it was in 1962 that he earned a spot in the Pro Bowl.
2. WHAT DIVISION DID THEY PLAY IN THAT YEAR ?
A. The NFL consisted of 13 teams in 1960, and they were divided into two conferences. Dallas was in the Western Conference.
3. THEIR RECORD THAT YEAR WAS 0-11-1, WHO DID THEY TIE ?
A. The Cowboys tied the N.Y. Giants in week 11 on December 4, 1960.
4. WHO WAS THEIR FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE THAT YEAR ?
A. The Cowboys did not participate in the 1960 draft. Dallas acquired several veterans through the expansion draft, and the Cowboys were able to acquire the rights to Don Meredith and Don Perkins from other teams.
5. WHAT WAS THE DECAL ?
A. The original helmet decal was a blue star with no outline.
6. WAS DON MEREDITH DRAFTED BY THE COWBOYS ? IF NOT HOW DID THEY GET HIM ?
A. Meredith was drafted in the third round of the 1960 draft by the Chicago Bears. Dallas traded future draft picks to Chicago to acquire Meredith’s rights, and then Dallas signed Meredith to a personal services contract.
7. THEIR FIRST WIN WAS AGAINST WHO ?
A. The first win in team in history was a 27-24 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 17, 1961.
8. IN THE 1961 DRAFT WHAT HALL-OF-FAMER WAS DRAFTED BY THE COWBOYS ?
A. The Cowboys had the 13th overall pick in the 1961 draft, and they took DT Bob Lilly with that pick.
9. WHAT RING OF HONOR PLAYER WAS THE STARTING RB IN 1961 ?
A. Don Perkins.
10. WHAT YEAR DID THEY CHANGE THEIR UNIFORMS ?
A. The Cowboys changed from their original double-star uniforms to the more traditional blue and silver uniforms in 1964.
11. WHO WAS THE STARTING MLB BEFORE LEE ROY JORDAN ?
A. The starting linebacker for the Cowboys from 1960 to 1965 was Jerry Tubbs, who later served as an assistant coach.
12. IN WHAT YEAR DID THE COWBOYS PLAY 14 GAMES ?
A. The first year that the Cowboys played a 14-game schedule was 1961. During that year, Dallas finished with a 4-9-1 record.
13. HOW MANY TD’S DID THE COWBOYS SCORE IN THEIR FIRST YEAR, LATER TO BE BROKEN BY EMMITT SMITH?
A. Awkward question, but the Cowboys scored a total of 23 touchdowns in 1960. Emmitt Smith alone scored 25 rushing touchdowns in 1995.
14. THE FIRST TIME A HOLDING PENALTY WAS CALLED AND A SAFETY WAS AWARDED WAS WHEN LEBARON THREW A 99 YARD TO TD PASS TO FRANK CLARKE.. T OR F
A. True. On September 23, 1962, LeBaron hit Clarke on what appeared to be a 99-yard touchdown. However, Dallas was called for holding in the end zone, and Pittsburgh was awarded as safety on the play.
15. IN 1961, THE COWBOYS WERE THE FIRST TEAM TO EVER HAVE 2 PLAYS OF 100 YARDS. HOW WAS IT DONE ?
A. This play did not take place in 1961. Amos Marsh returned a kickoff 101 yards, and Mike Gaechter returned an interception 100 yards in a 41-19 win over Philadelphia on October 14, 1962.
16. WHAT RECEIVER PLAYING FOR THE COWBOYS SET THE NFL RECORD FOR THE MOST RECEIVING YARDS IN A CAREER, BREAKING DON HUTSON’S CAREER RECORD ?
A.Billy Howton broke the record while playing for the Cowboys. He finished his career in 1963 with 503 career receptions for 8,459 yards.
17. IN THE 1964 DRAFT, THE COWBOYS DRAFTED 2 HALL OF FAMERS AND ANOTHER RING OF HONOR PLAYER. WHO WERE THEY AND WHAT ROUND WERE THEY CHOSEN ?
A. Mel Renfro (2nd round)
B. Bob Hayes (7th round)
C. Roger Staubach (10th round)
18. ALSO DURING THE 1964 DRAFT THE COWBOYS DRAFTER A QB OUT OF TULSA WHO IS CONSIDERED A QB COACH GURU AND SERVED AS OFF. CORD DURING HIS COACHING CAREER?
A. Jerry Rhome (13th round)
19. IN 1964, TOM LANDRY SIGNED A EXTENSION FOR HOW MANY YEARS ?
A. Landry signed a 10-year contract extension in 1964, even though Landry’s record up to that point was only 13-38-3.
20. WHO WAS THE COWBOY REC. WHO WROTE “ NORTH DALLAS 40 “ ?
A. The receiver was Pete Gent, who played for the Cowboys from 1964 to 1968.
21. IN THE 1965 DRAFT THE COWBOYS DRAFTED CRAIG MORTON AND JETHRO PUGH. WHERE DID THEY PLAY IN COLLEGE ?
A. Morton played at California.
B. Pugh played at Elizabeth City State.
22. ALSO THEY SIGNED AS A FREE AGENT OUT OF COLLEGE A QB FROM SOUTH CAROLINA AND HE BECAME A RUNNING BACK FOR THE COWBOYS. WHO WAS HE?
A. Dan Reeves was the former South Carolina quarterback who was converted to running back with Dallas.
23. IN 1965 THE COWBOYS FINISHED 7-7, FOR THEIR FIRST NON LOSING SEASON..WHO DID THEY PLAY IN THE PLAY-OFF BOWL? WHO WAS THE QB FOR THE OTHER TEAM THAT GAME?
A. The Cowboys played the Baltimore Colts in the Playoff Bowl after the 1965 season. Baltimore won 35-3.
B. Tom Matte, ordinarily a running back, started for the Colts that day.
24. IN 1965 THE COWBOYS HAD THEIR FIRST SELL-OUT, WHO WERE THEY PLAYING ?
A. The first sellout occurred on November 21, 1965 against the Cleveland Browns.
25. IN WHAT YEAR DID THE COWBOYS START GOING TO 1,000 OAKS, CAL FOR TRAINING CAMP?
A. The Cowboys first started attending training camp at California Lutheran College in Thousand Oaks, California in 1963.
26. DURING THE 1966 NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HOW FAR BEHIND WERE THE COWBOYS BEFORE RUNNING THEIR FIRST OFFENSIVE PLAY?
A. Dallas was behind 14-0 before the Cowboys had the ball. The Packers scored on a drive and then scored again 12 seconds later when Mel Renfro fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Jim Grabowski returned it for another score.
27. BEING BEHIND 34 -20 WITH 5:20 MINUTES TO GO, DON MEREDITH HIT WHAT RECEIVER FOR A 68 YD TD ?
A. Frank Clarke.
28. THE COWBOYS WERE AT GB 22 AND A PASS INTERFERENCE CALL WAS CALLED, PUTTING THE BALL AT GB’S 2. ON WHAT PLAY OF THAT DRIVE DID MEREDITH THROW THE INTERCEPTION ?
A. It was the seventh play of the drive counting a pass interference penalty but not counting a false start penalty. Dallas got the ball back trailing 34-27 with 2:19 to play. On two plays, Dallas moved the ball to the 22. The pass interference call on Frank Clarke moved the ball to the 3. Dan Reeves gained one yard to move the ball to the 1 on first down. A procedure penalty moved the ball back to the 6, and then Reeves dropped a pass on the next play. On third down, Meredith hit Pettis Norman to move the ball back to the 2. Meredith’s fourth-down pass was intercepted by Tom Brown.
29. IN 1967 THE NFL CHANGED THE PLAY-OFF FORMAT. WHAT TEAM DID THE COWBOYS PLAY FOR EASTERN DIVISION TITLE?
A. The Cowboys faced the Cleveland Browns in the divisional round of the 1967 playoffs. Dallas won 52-14.
30. IN 1966 DRAFT THE COWBOYS DRAFTED WALT GARRISON , WHO WAS ALSO DRAFTED BY THE OILERS OF THE AFL. WHAT DID HE GET FROM THE COWBOYS AS A SIGNING BONUS ?
A. His signing bonus consisted of a horse trailer.
31. IN THE 1967 NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, THE COWBOYS FELL BEHIND AGAIN 14-0, WHAT DEFENSIVE LINEMAN PICK UP A BART STARR FUMBLE AND RETURNED IT FOR A TD ?
A. Willie Townes caused the fumble, and George Andrie recovered and returned it for a seven-yard touchdown.
32. WITH THE SCORE 14-10, WHO THREW A TD PASS TO LANCE RENTZEL FOR 50 YDS PUTTING THE COWBOYS AHEAD 17-14 ?
A. Dan Reeves threw the touchdown pass to Rentzel.
33. DURING THIS GAME THERE WERE 6 HALL OF FAMERS FOR GB AND 3 FOR THE COWBOYS. WHO WERE THE COWBOYS?
A. Bob Lilly
B. Mel Renfro
C. Rayfield Wright (who was then a backup)
Another Hall-of-Famer: Tom Landry.
34. ON WHAT DOWN DID BART STARR SNEAK OVER FOR THE TD…WITH JERRY KRAMER CLEARLY OFFSIDE ON ?
A. The touchdown was on a third-and-goal play.
35. IN 1968 THE COWBOYS WERE BEATEN BY FOR THE EASTERN DIVISION TITLE BY ?
A. Cleveland beat Dallas on December 21, 1968, 31-20.
36. WHO WAS THE FIRST QB TO THROW FOR OVER 400 YDS IN A GAME FOR THE COWBOYS?
A. Meredith threw for 460 yards against San Francisco on November 10, 1963. It is still a record.
37. THE FIRST 1,000 RUSHER ?
A. Calvin Hill gained 1,036 yards in 1972.
38. WHAT YEAR DID TEXAS STADIUM OPEN ?
A. It opened in 1971. The first game played there was on October 24, 1971 against New England.
39. THE DEFENSIVE GOT THE NICK-NAME OF “ DOOMSDAY “ WHAT WAS THE SCHEME CALLED BY LANDRY ?
A. Landry’s 4-3 defense that he developed in Dallas was known as the flex. This defense evolved from the 4-3 Inside and 4-3 Outside defenses that Landry used with the New York Giants as their defensive coordinator.
40. IN 1970 THE COWBOYS WERE 5- 4, WON THEIR LAST 5 GAMES . IN THE OPENING PLAY-OFF GAME THEY BEAT WHAT TEAM? IT WAS THE LOWEST SCORING GAME IN PLAY-OFF HISTORY EVER. WHAT WAS THE SCORE ?
A. Dallas beat Detroit in the 1970 playoffs. It was the Cowboys’ first playoff win since 1967.
41. WHO DID THEY BEAT FOR THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP ?
A. Dallas beat San Francisco to earn a spot in Super Bowl V.
42. WHO DID THEY PLAY IN THE SUPER BOWL?
A. Dallas played the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl V.
43. WHO WAS THE MVP OF THIS GAME ?
A. Linebacker Chuck Howley.
44. WHEN MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL STARTED, WHO WERE IN THE BOOTH?
A. Keith Jackson
B. Howard Cosell
C. Don Meredith
45. DON MEREDITH WAS A CO-HOST ON WHO’S SHOW DURING THE 70’S ?
A. Meredith was a co-host on the Dinah Shore’s show Dinah and Friends in 1979.
46. WHO HOLDS THE COWBOY CAREER RECORD FOR INTERCEPTIONS?
A. Mel Renfro holds the record with 52 career interceptions.
47. WHO HOLDS THE RECORD HIGHEST AVERAGE FOR KICK-OFF RETURNS IN A SEASON ?
A. Among all kick returners, the highest average would be Gordon Banks, who had one kickoff return in 1986 for 56 yards. Mark Washington had five returns for 242 yards, or a 48.4 average, in 1970. Among those with at least 20 kickoff returns in a season, Mel Renfro gained 630 return yards on 21 kickoff returns, a 30.0 average, in 1965.
48. WHO HOLDS THE TEAM RECORD FOR PASSING YARDS IN A SEASON ?
A. Tony Romo broke this record in 2007 with 4,211 yards.
49. MOST INTERCEPTIONS IN A SEASON ?
A. Everson Walls recorded 11 picks in 1981.
50. THE MOST CAREER FGS ?
A. Rafael Septien made 162 field goals with the Cowboys.