Classic 1993 Interview with Tom Landry
In 1993, journalist Charlie Rose conducted an interview with Tom Landry, who had just been inducted into the Cowboys‘ Ring of Honor. The interview took place during the week after the Cowboys had beaten the Giants and were preparing to play the Phoenix Cardinals. A few highlights about the interview:
* Jerry Jones originally wanted to induct Landry about a year after Jerry bought the club. However, Jones was still in the process of firing members of the old guard, so Landry thought it wasn’t time.
* Landry was not very big on agents, but he acknowledged that the 1990s were a “new era.” The old seniority system by 1993 was gone.
* Landry’s memory wasn’t great– he referred to the Cowboys’ 1972 miracle win over the 49ers, but he said it happened in “oh, about ’70.”
* Toughest coach, according to Landry: Paul Brown.
* Rose asked Landry if there were any circumstances that would bring him back to football. Landry: “Not at all… Go find Joe Gibbs.”
The clip (which is over an hour long) also features interviews with Jerry Jones and CBS’ Jim Nantz.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Unforgettable Cowboys moments at Texas Stadium (mysanantonio.com)
- You: Greatest pure-natural athlete of all time. (sportsviews.com)
- Jerry Jones, Sloppy Drunk: Lots of Cash, Not a Lick of Class (bleacherreport.com)