1993 Review: Cowboys Dominate Packers and 49ers to Reach SB XXVIII
The Cowboys entered the 1993 playoffs rested after a bye week. There were still concerns over Emmit Smith‘s shoulder following the season finale against the Giants, but otherwise the team was peaking at the right time. Dallas had won five straight.
Divisional Round: Dallas 27, Green Bay 17
Green Bay narrowly made the playoffs and then won on a last-second touchdown pass from Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe. This combination was the biggest concern for the Cowboys in their opening playoff game. And with the Cowboys shutting down the Packers’ rushing offense, Green Bay became one-dimensional. The Cowboys managed to post a 17-3 halftime lead thanks to Kenny Gant causing a fumble late in the first half. Smith only managed 60 yards on 13 carries, and the Cowboys had to rely more on Troy Aikman than normal. He completed 28 of 37 passes for 302 yards with three touchdowns and two picks. Michael Irvin hauled in nine of those passes for 126 yards.
The Cowboys were less than pleased with their overall performance. The disappointment led Jimmy Johnson to call into a local radio show and guarantee a win over the 49ers (see the video clip below).
NFC Championship Game: Dallas 38, San Francisco 21
The 49ers had only managed a 10-6 record in 1993 and had lost three of their final four games before the playoffs. However, they dominated the Giants in the opening round, 44-3. However, Johnson’s guarantee got into the heads of San Francisco’s players, including Jerry Rice. Dallas dominated the first half, taking a 28-7 lead at the half. It looked all but over until Troy Aikman suffered a concussion early in the third quarter. San Francisco cut the lead to 28-14, and with Bernie Kosar at quarterback for Dallas, there were a few concerns. However, Kosar put the game way when he hit Alvin Harper on a slant pattern that resulted in a 42-yard touchdown pass. The game was never in doubt after that, and the Cowboys were headed to their seventh Super Bowl.
Here are some highlights from the America’s Game video on the 1993 Cowboys:
Related articles by Zemanta
- Cowboys’ Romo feels super has to come before elite (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Keeping Your Enemies Closer: Who Is the Green Bay Packers Biggest Rival? (bleacherreport.com)
- Dallas Cowboys All-Franchise Team/With Video (bleacherreport.com)
- Jones hopes Cowboys season will be a super one (tsn.ca)
- Dallas Cowboys agree to terms with second-round pick Sean Lee – ESPN Dallas (ballhype.com)
- Beaumont Enterprise: Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson to be on ‘Survivor’ (beaumontenterprise.com)
- Dez Bryant agrees terms with Cowboys (theglobeandmail.com)