General Consensus at #9: Tyron Smith
There are still five or six players who remain on the various mock drafts. The player emerging as the consensus, though, is USC tackle Tyron Smith.
NFL.com’s Mike Mayock predicts Dallas will take Smith. Here are his (paraphrased) comments:
- Thinks the Cowboys would like to trade down.
- But if they stay at #9, they could take a corner or a five-technique (defensive line)
- This kid, Tyron Smith, is so gifted at right tackle. Plug him in. He can stay over at the right side. He improves the youth and athleticism of the line.
- Dallas hasn’t taken an offensive lineman this high in a long time.
- Tyron Smith is the answer.
Prince Amukamara is still in mix, as is J.J. Watt. Rafael Vela says that he’s heard that the Cowboys really like Watt and that they aren’t that interested in Smith. However, Bob Sturm of the DMN makes a case for taking Smith.
Part of my feelings about Smith are about the present. I think he was a very strong RT at USC with a pretty good grasp of pass protection, a natural flair for getting to the 2nd level on run plays, and a remarkable ability to recover when he gets beat with an initial move.
We’ll know tomorrow. I just don’t want to see Dallas trying to find any value picks at #20.