Dallas Cowboys History in Quotes: The 1989 Season
Before the quotes, take a look at a “highlight” videos about that team.
On to the quotes—
“‘K mart’ didn’t try to fall down. That’s just football. You’ve got to accept it.”
Troy Aikman after a 27-21 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The Cowboys led 21-10 at halftime but could not score in the second half. Aikman was referring to receiver Kelvin Martin, who fell down on a route late in the game, leading to an Aikman interception.
“The rocky days are not over for the Cowboys. But I’m happy to get the win. We’re going to have a lot of wins over the next so-many years in Dallas, and it’s good to get it started.”
Jimmy Johnson after the Cowboys picked up their first and only win of the 1989 season against the Washington Redskins.
“Winning and losing concerns me, but what concerns me more is when you take away from the integrity of the game. It was confirmed last night by an Eagles coach and two Eagles’ players that there was a $200 bounty on Luis Zendejas and a $500 bounty on Troy Aikman. That’s not the way the game is supposed to be played.”
Johnson about bounties that Philadelphia coach Buddy Ryan placed on several Cowboys’ heads. Dallas lost to the Eagles on Thanksgiving Day, 27-0.
Did You Know?
When the Cowboys lost to the Falcons, it marked the first time since 1963 that Dallas had started a season 0-2.
- Cowboys might have taken Junior Seau in 1990 (examiner.com)
- Troy Aikman backs Dallas Cowboys’ move to select Morris Claiborne – NFL News (blogs.bettor.com)
- The Dallas Cowboys built their dynasty through a series of great drafts (examiner.com)
- When Legendary Dallas Cowboys Quarterbacks Have Moved On (knowyourdallascowboys.com)
- Dallas Cowboys History in Quotes: Cowboys vs. Giants (knowyourdallascowboys.com)