Texas offensive guard Justin Blalock is the big winner thus far, with 16 of the 46 mock drafts guessing that he will be taken first. Another lineman, Levi Brown of Penn State, was the choice of six of the blogs.
Robert Bryant has a pretty good post about the Cowboys needs here. I’ll post other links as I discover them.
1. Draft Daddy: DE Quentin Moses, Georgia. Note: “The Boys could take Moses and stand him up at linebacker. Still elite lateral quickness, despite senior campaign.”
2. NFL Draft Countdown: OG Justin Blalock, Texas.
The Cowboys have two clearly defined needs at offensive guard and free safety so with LaRon Landry and Reggie Nelson both off the board here this decision becomes relatively easy. Marco Rivera is just about finished due to a back injury and while it might not be a sexy or popular selection in round one the Cowboys need to find a suitable replacement. Justin Blalock played right tackle for the most part in college but will probably move inside to guard at the next level and he could be a real all-around force there. If either Landry or Nelson were available they’d be hard to pass up but word has it that Anthony Henry might move to safety and if that happens the need will shift from free safety to cornerback so that could be an option as well. With things as they are Blalock probably makes the most sense at this point and his addition would go a long way towards improving what has been a pretty average offensive line for quite some time now.
3. Fox Sports: Blalock.
4. Great Blue North Draft Report: CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno State.
5. Inside the Eagles: S Michael Johnson, Arizona.
6. Football Minds: S Michael Griffin, Texas.
7. Fantasy Football Jungle: OT Levi Brown, Penn State
The Dallas Cowboys had some difficulty this year in pass protection and their bookend tackles really underperformed and are aging. Brown is the second best Offensive Lineman in the draft and could be plugged into a trouble spot for the Cowboys right away. With 4 years of starting experience at Penn St he is polished with great technique and excellent hand control. He is good at pass protection, but also very good against the run, which is key to him fitting in well with the ball control offense Parcells likes to deploy. If he locks onto you with his 6’5 and 325 lb frame he has got you pegged. The Boys get a major upgrade here at a good value in the 20’s with Brown.
8. Draft Connection: Blalock
9. NFL Answers: WR Dwayne Jerrett, USC.
10. Fantasy Football Xtreme: DT DeMarcus Tyler, North Carolina.
11. Walter’s Football Site: Blalock
12. Q.I. Sports: S LaRon Landry, LSU
13. The Football Expert: S Reggie Nelson, Florida. Note: “Cowboys need help at OL and S. The decision comes down to Reggie Nelson or Justin Blalock. Nelson is better value here.”
14. Draft King: Blalock.
15. Junkyard Jake: Blalock
16. East Coast Sports News: Nelson. Note: “The ‘Boys will have a hard time passing on Nelson.”
17. Draft Studio: Griffin.
18. Chad Thompson: Jarrett.
19. Kevin Alvidera: Griffin.
20. NFL Draft Class: Jarrett
21. Northwest Scouting: Blalock.
22. The War Room Draft Guide: Nelson.
23. FF Toolbox: Brown. Note: “Dallas showed some weakness at OL with both Bledsoe and Romo at QB. Brown is big, strong, dominate tackle that brings immediate relief to the OL.”
24. Draft Ace: WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee.
Even if T.O returns the Cowboys thin at the receiver position. Glenn and Owens are both getting up their in age and they don’t really have anyone waiting in the wings. Meachem enters that draft after a phenomenal junior year. The 6’3 receiver has a great blend of size and speed that make him a potential first rounder.
25. The Outhouse: Blalock. Note: “The Tuna needs to shore up his OL, and the big guy from Texas should be just what he’s looking for.”
26. The Lupagus: Brown. Note: “The Boys need to beef up their offensive line so they grab Mr. Brown here.”
27. NFL Draft Site Blog: Blalock.
28. Heard’s Football Report: DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville.
29. Consensus Draft Services: Brown.
It’s been an up-and-down year for Dallas, but making the playoffs is an accomplishment. The Cowboys couldn’t hide protection problems with the statue-like Drew Bledsoe standing in the pocket, but they have been able to mask problems up front with the mobile Tony Romo at QB. Levi Brown is a solid OT prospect from Penn State, who has been a senior leader on the offensive line for the Nittany Lions. Beyond offensive line, they might want to add another pass-rushing OLB, because they were not the same defense after Greg Ellis went down. Oh, and they could probably also use a holder.
30. Huddlegeeks: Nelson.
31. Dr. U Fantasy Football Guru: CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno State.
32. Football’s Future: Nelson. Note: “Could form the best safety duo in the league with Roy Williams in no time.”
33. Fantasy Tailgate:Landry.
Even though he’s available here in my mock, I highly doubt it will actaully happen. Landry is a full on stud, and if he is available, this would be one of the biggest no-brainers of the draft. If he is gone, Reggie Nelson would probably be a no-brainer as well. Blalock would be the 3rd option – again, I’m doubting that Landry or Nelson will actually be available.
34. Saturdays2Sundays: Griffin.
35. D&J Mock Draft: Blalock.
36. Mock Draft City: Blalock.
37. NFL Daily: DE Lamar Woodley, Michigan.
The Cowboys defense has been in disarray late in the season and thus, coach Parcells will want to add a few guys to stop the bleeding. Woodley comes from a star studded defense at Michigan where he put up fantastic stats in 2006. His aggressiveness showed throughout his career as he collected the 2nd most tackles for a loss in school history. The Cowboys will need his defensive leadership to make the next step.
38. Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets: Blalock.
39. Ricky Dimon: Woodley.
40. Matt Monaghan: Blalock.
41. Dave Thompson: Brown.
42. Mike McCollom, Football.com: Brown.
43. NFL Draft Forecast: DE Adam Carriker, Nebraska.
44. Draft Board Insider: Blalock.
45. Rob Scouting: Blalock
46. Presto 512, Dallas Cowboys Fan Zone: Blalock. Note: “Blaylock can play both guard and tackle spots which is what the Cowboys need. I initially had Blalock going to the Titans, Jarrett going to the Steelers and us getting Landry but Landry’s stock seems to be going up and he’s listed as #12 on Kiper’s big board. ”