now browsing by tag
ESPN’s broadcast of the Dallas Cowboys’ 16th overall pick in the 2014 Draft focused almost entirely on quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Online sources said that the Cowboys would do it if Manziel were still there.
It did not happen.
However, the Cowboys also did not focus on defense with the pick, either. With defensive tackle Aaron Donald off the board (going to St. Louis at #13), the Cowboys took offensive tackle Zack Martin.
This was Mel Kiper’s guess in his mock draft posted on April 22. Martin began the off-season as someone who could fall to the late part of the first round. However, his stock rose, and some saw him as a top 10 pick.
Now he is a Cowboy. Whether he plays tackle or guard is something that needs to play out over the next few months.
Here is a video:
Dallas was aggressive in getting a solid corner in free agency with the addition of Brandon Carr, but the Cowboys still need help at safety to shore up the pass defense. I don’t think another corner is out of the question at this spot, but Barron is the best safety in the draft, and the Cowboys can’t go wrong if he’s available. I can also see Dallas going offensive line here, as that unit could use some help, but Barron makes sense.
In the second round, Kiper sees the Cowboys taking Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler. ESPN also reported that the Cowboys attended Wisconsin’s pro day.
Kiper’s comment about Zeitler:
Would be the top guard in the draft class in some years. If Dallas doesn’t go DeCastro early, Zeitler fits here.
- Should the Cowboys Go After a Safety or a Corner? (knowyourdallascowboys.com)
- Dallas Cowboys Draft: Most Still Looking at Kirkpatrick or Barron (knowyourdallascowboys.com)
- 2012 NFL Draft: Why Mark Barron Still Isn’t a 1st Round Pick for Mel Kiper Jr (bleacherreport.com)
- 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Prospects Mel Kiper Jr Is Overrating (bleacherreport.com)
- Mel Kiper Jr 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Breaking Down the Worst of Mel’s Mock (bleacherreport.com)